We have begun studying A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, a text written c. 700 AD by Shantideva, a monk at Nalanda Monastic University in India. Its Sanskrit title is Bodhicaryavatara, and it typically consists of ten chapters that lay out the path to release from suffering. These are the chapters:
1. The Benefits of Bodhichitta
2. Confession of Misdeeds
3. Adopting Bodhisattva Behavior
4. The Vigilant Introspection, Conscientiousness
5. Guarding the Mind with Alertness
6. The Perfection of Patience
7. Enthusiasm for Awakening
8. Developing Meditative Concentration
9. The Perfection of Wisdom
The text provides guidance for a bodhisattva on the path to liberation and it explains the logic of compassion, ethical conduct, and wisdom in a very clear way.
26 August 2023
Today’s session was the first 4 chapters of the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life. A beautiful explanation was given over Zoom by Maniyo and it was followed by a very beneficial question and answer session.